Whether we’re finding a new job, changing careers, pursuing promotion, returning from a career break or experiencing some other form of career transition, it’s always helpful to have an extra bit of motivation or inspiration to help us on our way. Many of us enjoy quotes from well-known, inspirational figures and/or individuals who’ve really studied and are passionate about the world of work and career development. Reading quotes such as the ones below are short and sweet ways of helping us look at things from a different perspective.
1. Do more than is required. What is the distance between someone who achieves their goals consistently and those who spend their lives and careers merely following? The extra mile.” – Gary Ryan Blair, coach and motivational speaker
2. Anything is possible. You can be told that you have a 90% chance or a 50% chance or a 1% chance, but you have to believe, and you have to fight – Lance Armstrong
3. Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air – U.S. President John Quincy Adams
4. To be a star, you must walk your own path, shine your own light and not be afraid of the darkness, that’s when a star shines the brightest - unknown
5. The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind - William James, psychologist and philosopher
6. I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games; 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over again in my life. And that’s why I succeed - Michael Jordan
7. There are positive and negative thoughts and, hey, it doesn’t cost you a cent more to think positively - Angelo Dundee, boxing trainer
8. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover ― Mark Twain
9. Your ability to discipline yourself to set clear goals, and then to work toward them every day, will do more to guarantee your success than any other single factor - Brian Tracy, author and motivational speaker
10. Working hard becomes a habit, a serious kind of fun. You get self-satisfaction from pushing yourself to the limit, knowing that all the effort is going to pay off - Mary Lou Retton, Olympic champion gymnast
For more top career quotes, as well as Position Ignition articles, news and views daily, check out our Twitter feed!