Founder and Director: Simon North
Simon North is an expert in managing the world of work. He is one of the UK’s leading experts on careers and is steeped in HR. Ever since he started his career, he has been curious about people, in their development and in how to create positive working environments.
Where it all began
Simon started at Rolls-Royce 30 years ago. He started out in personnel and in industrial relations and moved into leadership roles including International HR Director, Managing Director and later on took on Chairing and Non-Executive Director roles. His diverse career has led him into a variety of roles, organisations and ecosystems giving him a fabulous insight into business and in understanding how some of the best known organisations really work.
Simon’s strong corporate background includes working with PwC, KPMG, IBM and Shell International. He has learnt about the engineering, manufacturing, management consulting, financial services and the technology industries and has worked across the globe. He is an HR professional by qualification and was an early adopter of psychological profiling into team development within Shell. However, his career has included marketing, sales and operations; which gives him real experience across a wide range of sectors and business functions.
Simon has also worked in recruitment and in interim management. He knows from the inside, how the recruitment industry works and about the intricacies in the employer-employee dynamic. He has founded two businesses and is an experienced coach, mentor, business and career adviser.
Throughout his life Simon has taken an interest in helping others in their career and their work. The importance of being in control of your own working life has been a key theme throughout his career and has led him to create Position Ignition.
Simon co-founded Position Ignition, one of the UK’s leading career consulting companies, to support individuals who need their careers re-engineered and re-designed. He works with organisations to support mid and late career professionals through times of change.
He believes in working with organisations where the need for creative and sensitive career management is seen as a unique point of difference for the employer. His vision is to help create true standards of employment excellence and to ensure that this exists across all organisations and for each working professional.
He works towards this vision through his writing, speaking and through his transition work with personal and corporate clients. His company’s blog is read by tens of thousands and he is a regular speaker at some of the UK’s top business schools including Ashridge, Henley, Warwick and Durham Business Schools amongst others and is often asked to speak to various networks and alumni groups abroad (see our Speaking Events).
Simon has been featured in the HR industry’s leading publications such as HR Director, HR Magazine, OnRec and HR Zone. He also regularly contributes to the national and business press which includes: Management Today, Director Magazine, Recruiter Magazine, The Financial Times, The Sunday Times, Forbes and The Guardian.
Simon North in the Press:
- Forbes - How To Be The Next Steve Jobs
- Forbes - Be Happier At Work: 10 Ways To Turn Around A Bad Day
- The Guardian - How to Negotiate a Pay Rise
- HR Director - Knowledge Retention: Keeping the Best on a Budget
- HR Magazine - Severing Psychological Contracts with Employees: There Must Be a Better Way Than This
- Talent Management Magazine - Retaining Your Most Engaged and Talented Employees
- HR Magazine - Retirement Post DRA, the performance management of older workers will come to the fore
- HR Zone - Are we Ready for An Older Worker?
- The Guardian - Rebalancing the Relationship
Read Career Blogs by Simon North:
- How the recruitment industry is changing and affecting our working lives
- Careers over 40: What I want to be now I'm grown up
- Burnt out?
- Where career advice might live in our life
- CV? How useful are they really?
- Career challenges at 50: Unfulfilled and Bored